9.20.2004

Just add one egg

My mom normally talks to us how her Chinese clients cheat the government, cheat their employees and ultimately cheat the Filipinos. I am starting to believe her theory that Chinese business is one big factor for the country’s underdevelopment. She also said that millions of pesos circulate in downtown Manila, all unaccounted by the government.

For some reason, the Chinese get away with it. And so when the Chinese complain how difficult life is in the Philippines, my blood literally reaches boiling point. Just imagine how every big business in the country is owned by the Chinese and how Lucio Tan continues to walk around scot-free despite his billion peso tax deficiency. And even if Henry Sy has provided employment to thousands of salesladies, no one has actually stayed with SM for more than six months. benefits are just too costly for business. Try visiting high-end places in Manila and for sure you’ll see yourself surrounded by slit-eyed yellow people (pun intended). my mother also knows of a chinese guy who won a math Olympiad for his school. He was then offered Filipino citizenship but surprise surprise he turned it down. He continues to live in the country managing his own business and earns bigtime. Is that arrogance or what. Whenever I see teresita ang-see fume on tv how kidnam-for-ransom continues to threat Fil-Chinese security, how I wish I could shoot back that they always have the option to pack-up and leave.

Our nanny, I believe, has a personal grudge against the Chinese. she always notices how the Chinese aren’t just greedy but how they look down on Filipinos. Who wouldn’t? this is the only country where the citizens work their backs of for the foreigners and who actually glorify foreigners above their own.

Which leads me to another question. Howcome after years of colonization (i.e. slavery), Filipinos seem to have a penchant for patronizing people of a different color. Notice how everything in the country is tourist-friendly. From street signs to cab drivers to investment incentive package. We can’t just afford to have foreigners frown upon us. I bet the manila leg of amazing race won’t be as challenging as the Calcutta leg.

God I’m bored…

I’ve been feeling quite restless for months now. I’ve been thinking of resigning and transferring to a higher-paying job. I don’t seem to run out of things to pay for and I don’t think I enjoy my salary the way I want to. The only comfort I seem to get is being able to get a cab and I have to rethink that as well. But more than that I am more concerned that I can’t save. My untouchable account is not so untouchable now.

There are so many things I want to do. I feel very lazy and I can’t seem to start on anything. I can’t even update my CV. The only consolation I can think of is I’m not even two years on this job so I shouldn’t be too hard on myself.