7.03.2006

Ole!

For almost a month now people from all over are putting their lives on hold and are coming together (in twelve states in Germany at least) to rally behind their heroes. Dressed in their national colors, throngs of people chanting, singing, dancing and drinking have become such a sight to see that I, admittedly, feel envious of such remarkable display of unity and patriotism.

I want a Filipino World Cup Team! I want to be extremely emotional over an exciting game of football. I want to be swept by unbelievable plays, overwhelmed by incredible goals and crushed by heartbreaking defeat. I want to jump and dance in the country’s main thoroughfares with reckless abandon and shout and cry my country’s name like a mad man. All these while wearing the flag on my back and my face painted with the sun and the stars.

I’m such a trying hard football fan I watch the games even if I hardly know how it is played. All of a sudden I’m interested in CNN Sports just to see the Fan Zone, a full-packed stadium in almost monochrome and winning team antics. My sister is luckier. She was in Frankfurt just a week ago. I, on the other hand, found misery in company.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Something unusual, football-crazed Filipinos (totally unplanned).

I want us to be stung by the football bug. Just imagine, we wouldn’t have to deal with politicians putting up another basketball court with their pork barrel. We would stop being disenchanted with our height. We can all give The Pacman a much-needed rest (and hopefully retirement). With a Lakandula Award from the President no less, this country sure needs a new breed of heroes. And please let it be a dozen.

5 POI's:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Chris Cassanova said...

The day we qualify for the World Cup is the day that we put a man on the moon Corina. With a lowly #191 world ranking (only Brunei is worse at 199 in S.E. Asia) coupled with the fact that there are only 4 slots alloted to Asia at the moment, it's a safe bet that we will never make it to the planet's biggest sporting spectacle even in our grandkid's lifetime. Go Azzurri!

btw, i was there at the Araneta to watch Manny fight.The perks of being a Kapamilya. hehe

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Bubbles said...

what the?! please tell G.Lo we'll appreciate watching Manny simultaneous with the rest of TFC subscribers. Hehe..

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Chad said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Count me in as one of those with the fervent desire to get swept by the football rush coz our national team is there! :D

Between trying to fix our political system and getting our national team (we have one?) to the World Cup, I'd rather throw our resources to the latter. I believe that the latter will do a hell of a lot more in sparking national unity and love for the country than fixing our political system (whatever system we actually will have in the future).

Allez le France! Forza Italia! Ole Brasil!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home