9.21.2004

The pink edition

Monday nights for me and my sisters mean Queer Eye night. We have to finish dinner before 9pm to be able to catch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. I loved this show from the first episode I saw, unlike sex and the city or the x-files which took quite a little patience to go through succeeding episodes for me to appreciate it. I have a very strong belief that these five gay men are geniuses. Not everyone is blessed with creativity.

Take Thom Filicia. Who would have the patience and tenacity to see beauty behind a rathole of a man’s apartment and turn it into every woman’s dream “boyfriend’s pad”. I cannot even make anything out of my office cube. Keeping it neat and tidy is the most I can do and it will have to take all my willpower to start rummaging through the piles of paper. Or Carson Kressley, who more than the outfits he is able to come up with, gives the funniest and wittiest unscripted punchlines I’ve heard on tv. You just have to give it to gay men when it comes to sarcasm and sharpness.

But my ultimate Queer Eye dream guy is Kyan Douglas. Boy is he yummy. I have placed him up there with tennis pretty boy marat safin and australia’s best contribution to Hollywood heath ledger. Watching him on tv makes you think you can actually smell his fresh from the shower scent. And those biceps..what a hunk!
I have always felt that gay men have a special place in my heart. My father has two gay brothers who are out as out can be. Family get-togethers liven up because of them. They are MEAN but I have to admit they are really funny. One of them is really good in math he gets paid before to take another person’s entrance exams. I and my twinsister also grew up with a gay cousin. Of course we didn’t know he was gay until we reached the age of puberty. We often wondered howcome he played with us instead of playing with my brother. Up to this day he believes that we are prime suspects why he happens to have estrogen flowing in his body. My cousin is a brilliant guy. He writes well, reads a lot and has great appreciation for art and history. He can also come up with really good seamless ploy to get even with the enemy.

When I was about to enter college, I wished I could have a gay man for a best friend. I guess I got something close to that. I dated someone who’s gay and of course I didn’t know the real score until it was too late. Actually I had doubts already but I probably refused to see. I even consulted two friends and they said there are men who really are like THAT:

1. he notices that a girl’s bag is of a different color to her shoes and even tells me about it
2. he asks me what my beauty regimen is and shares what he does
3. he takes longer when shopping and window shopping
4. we don’t argue about what movies to see (i.e. he loves Julia Roberts and other tear-jerkers as much as I do)
5. basketball? What basketball?
6. knows all the gay men (closet or out) in school personally
7. dated for almost a year and no..has not touched even the tip of my fingers

I should have realized sooner it was too good to be true. An intelligent guy with the sensitivity of a woman? Just what was I thinking. During this time the term “metrosexual” wasn’t even imagined yet. For some reason, I am proud for this blunder in my life. It’s really a lot of fun talking about it (even if I am the butt of jokes among guyfriends). At least this is what I got and not some “the college bad boy who broke my heart” episode.

Wow! Gays do have a special place in my heart. I didn’t notice how long this is already. I guess what I am saying is I am all for gay rights. There are a lot of successful gay men. I admire them so much that when I meet a guy who’s really good looking, intelligent, interesting and knows how to tickle my fancy, I know right away he’s gay.

1 POI's:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger z said...

Kyan??? Yeahh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home