9.21.2004

72,000 miles

The Amazing Race 5 ended today and my favorite team, the strongest team, Colin and Christie lost to Chip and Kim who used to be the sweet married couple who hugs everyone but just recently showed they’re out to get the million bucks by yielding and lying (I don’t really blame them for that, that’s how the game goes).

This sounds really stupid but I feel down. The amazing race is an amazing show and I think it ended too soon plus the team I’m rooting for lost to the underdogs. Colin and Christie have been leading consistently and that’s because they really played well. They worked hard right from the start unlike the other teams who suddenly realized they are nearing 1 million bucks and decided to play rough. I know a lot of people who are pissed at Colin. Filipinos are known to take everything personally. I am not at all affected by Colin’s arrogance and aggressiveness. I can take cockiness anytime as long as a person has something to brag about. And I guess Colin is one of those persons. His competitive spirit is more than enough for him and Christie. They always finish first not because of luck or they pushed another team too far but because they’re tactical, strategic and very strong. Remember how it took some time for Colin to make the mud bricks in India but once he got the hang of it there was just no letting up. Or how methodical his and Christie’s way of going through the maze in this last challenge in Dallas. Of course the Laguna challenge sort of pushed him to the limit and brought out the as*ho*e in him but what I’m saying is if I was placed in the same predicament, I might have acted just as bad if not worse. The amazing race is really Colin’s game.

I also have to give it to Chip. No thanks to his wife, Kim. She was useless most of the time. Even the schmoozing with and deceiving of other teams tactics can only be attributed to Chip. The guy’s a good guy and in this game the good guy finished first.

The bowling moms..they rock! It’s true what Karen said..she has been a mother for twenty years but the race experience made her realize there are a lot of things out there that she can do. They still finished the Palawan leg knowing that they will be eliminated, compared to Marshal and Lance who gave up and were eliminated in quite a unique way. I say if you’re going to lose, you might as well lose with honor.

As for the other teams, they are as memorable. Brandon and Nicole “everything is in God’s hands” team, the twins who are fast and fearless but kind of stupid most of the time, the midget and cousin tandem who are actually clever but really annoying and Allison and Donny who were promising but gone too soon.

By the way, I wasn’t that impressed with the Manila leg. I think it was lame. Good thing El Nido saved the day.