2.11.2005

To infinity and beyond

Last Friday, my mom threw a despedida party for Kaye, the newest member of our family. She married my cousin just last December. She works as a nurse in L.A. I call it the Axis Powers party because we feasted on sushi for cocktails, pasta, german deli, sauerkraut and baked salmon. After this despedida, I went to Trish’s despedida in New Manila. Trish is one of my best friends from high school and she’s going to work in Singapore for HP. Our other friend, Leo, was not around during the despedida because she’s now in either Sicily or Dubai (I really can’t tell) doing shows for Bayanihan.

I’m just pleased to know how far these girls have gone. I’ve known them for almost all my life and I’m hell proud of the women they have become. There is just too much opportunity going around and it’s crazy to let these things pass.

I believe this is what being young is all about. One shouldn’t measure his or her youth in the amount of alcohol one has taken in (and out) or the number of relationships you got yourself involved in, but by what you have substantially accomplished or the places you have reached because of work or study. In this day and age of increased interdependence, where opportunities spring from Manila to Toronto, we should exploit every chance towards personal development and career growth, even if it means leaving our comfort zone.

I think this is where the risk-taker and adventurous attitude should be maximized and not in dragracing or in casual sex. I don’t mean to be self-righteous nor preachy. I’m just giving a reality check on how our generation has been using the liberties we asked for and the responsibilities that come with it. Are we measuring up to those who came before us? Are we worth all the gadgets we buy and all the conveniences we have? Because essentially, living now is practically just a push of a button and whether or not this luxury has made us a better breed is still sketchy.

And this is why I celebrate small successes like being able to work abroad, especially when you have been sheltered all your life, and knowing or losing yourself in the process. For as long as they give something back to the country and continue their civil duties, I salute men and women who leave for greener pastures.