9.27.2004

Not so free dinner

One of my pet-peeves are people who can’t stop complaining and whining and who just love to play the blame game. Most of the time, these are the people who inhibit themselves from the greater scheme of things by viewing things like they are looking into a fishbowl when these issues actually involve them such as governance or opportunities. Sometimes these are also the kind of people who think they know better just because they chose to be at the easier side of the fence, the side where you can disown your actions and just lambaste at the status quo or prevailing circumstances. These are also the people who argue non-sequitur.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m with the government that I grow more impatient of people who blame it all to the government. Perhaps I am just more aware of how the government gets things done that I am easily pissed at people who claim to know what they’re talking about when I’m pretty sure they just echo what they hear from their fellow myopic and parochial citizens. One comment I particularly like was, “Ano magdebate pa tayo sa presidente mo? Dati sinabi maganda ang ekonomiya tapos nung nahalal tsaka inaming may fiscal crisis”. I need not even listen to what else she is going to say. Obviously, she doesn’t understand how worlds apart is economic to fiscal crisis. Obviously, she didn’t know that on the second quarter, GDP was over 6%. Obviously, she didn’t bother asking the country’s economic performance vis-à-vis fiscal management or that a fiscal crisis is not necessarily and sufficiently an outcome of a 3-year administration, no matter how unimaginably bad it went.

More than keeping oneself abreast with such information, I believe it should more importantly be about asking yourself what exactly have you done to earn the position of casting the stone. I say if you’re working in a call center, you should even be thankful to this administration for securing 60,000 call center seats for the army of unemployed from just 2,000 three years ago. If not for this President, you could have been another NSO statistic. This is especially true for UP graduates whose education was made possible by the taxpayers’ money and has not served the country, by at least being a public servant. Really shameless...

On the other hand, if your service happens to be to criticize and pass judgment at everything that goes mad in this country and offering an alternative like putting an evangelist in power, then I think you’re another thing that has gone mad in this country.

I am not in anyway absolving the government for its innumerable wrong moves and bad judgment. I have my own litany of grievances. What I’m saying is pushing this country forward is everybody’s ballgame. People my age are not in the position to point fingers at anyone simply because we haven’t served our time in doing this country right. We should ask ourselves whether we follow the simplest of traffic rules or even bother to count our blessings like being able to wake up the next day free.

Unless you’re a Ramon Magsaysay Awardee or any other person who is willing to forego personal interest for national gain, I don’t think you’re worthy of judgment.

1 POI's:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Think of it this way... Maybe she is disgruntled because her top bet didn't win the elections... She's probably just one of them sour-graping, bitter suppoerter of the rivals of the one in power. No big deal.

Let's go back to culture... Filipinos are born crabs... That is why I strongly believe that no matter who sits in that palace, there will always be people who shall try their very best to pul them down, may it be Ninoy Aquino or even Jesus Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home